Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pieces of Me

My final project will be a paper regarding the differing, yet influential, biases that are omnipresent in today's international media.  Coming into this class I had a very different view of the conflict than I do now, and I feel that it is greatly because of the information that was being fed to me not only through the newspapers and tv shows, but also my parents and groups of friends. I hope to look into the effects of social networking and the effects this has on those unaffected by the conflict and those in the thick as well.


I actually just went home home on Monday to cook for our amazing class dinner and spent some time in my childhood room (my one and only home for 18 years before I came to college) and found myself admiring my giant bulletin board across from my bed.  This one rectangle exemplifies everything I have ever participated in and/or loved in my life and although I haven't added anything to it in the last four years, it is still extremely relevant to the life I live today.


From afar, you would probably notice the massive amounts of ribbons/medals/certificates that I have received over the years of doing synchronized swimming first. I started synchro when I was 8 years old I have just recently retired after Senior Nationals this past April-I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with my life now that such a big piece of it is missing, but these medals always bring back memories of the love/hate relationship I've had with the sport for so many years.


If you dare to move closer, you'll see that underneath the hanging medals are numerous photographs-of teammates, friends, family and even some vain pictures of myself.  I have always been a very social person and without the people that surround me I wouldn't be the person that I am today.  I am thankful everyday for these amazing friends that I have been blessed with and always keep them close to my heart, and my room.


And finally, as I've talked about multiple times in this class, music has always played a very integral part in my life.  I started playing piano in kindergarten because my brother started taking lessons and I was extremely jealous that he got to do something that I didn't. That didn't last long because I continued long beyond him.  I also picked up the flute in fourth grade and didn't put it down until college.  I was the stereotypical band kid in high school and was chosen as our drum major my senior year.  This obsession with music is clearly evident in not only my bulletin board, but in my iTunes collection-which varies from classical symphonies to hillbilly country, contemporary R&B to acapella groups and Broadway musicals. I really do listen to everything.  On my bulletin board at home and in my room here at school I have song lyrics everywhere (even painted on my wall to inspire me to get up every morning).  If I have to write them on a scrap of paper on the bus, I'll do it. Quotes, no matter how cheesy, get my through the days sometimes.


On a completely different topic: here are my questions for Yonatan Gher
1) On the City of Borders website, the video clip talks about the one gay bar in Jerusalem.  Since there is only one available to all people, are GLBT more accepting of the Palestinian/Israeli divide than the normal citizen?
2) Has the ongoing conflict overshadowed the GLBT issue and made it better or has the situation gotten worse?
3) Do you think with peace between Israelis and Palestinians there will be more acceptance for the GLBT society?  With this hopeful peace will there be any legislation passed for more equal rights for all human kind?

No comments:

Post a Comment